8. October 2022
From change resistance to readiness
In any transformation, the status quo dynamics of the opposing forces of readiness to change and resistance to change𝐫 must be shifted. As is often the case, the status quo is not an option for the organisation to thrive in the future.
Therefore, it is key to understand who the (hidden) opponents are and what exactly is causing this resistance. There can usually be several reasons why there is resistance to change, such as:
- Perceived loss of control
- Being surprised by the change
- Not having a clear picture of the new targeted situation
- Fear of not having the required competencies
- Perceived additional workload
- Fair concerns about the risks of change that are not addressed
- Fear of the unknown
- Historical negative experiences with change
- Perceived loss of status
Understanding what drives resistance in whom allows for a more sincere approach to address some of the drivers of resistance, such as:
- Communication and education
- Participation and involvement
- Facilitation and support
This then allows people to shift from potential promoters to promoters, from hidden opponents to potential promoters, etc.
What ways have you used to shift resistance to change into readiness to change?